Network Engineer bij Geant Vereniging
Team: Network Engineering
Reporting to: Head of Network Engineering
Type/Hours: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Cambridge (UK) or Amsterdam (NL)
The Network Engineering Team is responsible for the design, planning, and change control of the pan-European research and education GEANT network with overall responsibility for network integrity and performance. The team is responsible for managing all network platforms, traffic and services. The GÉANT network typically transits ~7 Petabits per day across 35+ countries.
The work involves:
- Planning of enhancements to the backbone network at layers 1-3, predominantly at 100G and multiple 100G capacities
- Working with Procurement to purchase network hardware, services, management platforms and circuits
- Designing, lab testing and rolling out of new network services
- Traffic and capacity management at layers 1-3 using various analytical tools
- Network performance management and reporting
- Providing expert support to the GÉANT Operation Centre
- Providing documentation and processes to support the Implementation Team
- Providing technical support to the GÉANT Security team
- Change control using ITIL best practice
- Management of network maintenance activity
This position is a technically challenging role which also enables the job holder to use their project, planning and co-ordination skills. Over the next 24 months, we have goals to automate 80% of the network configuration, to include notifications when deviations from an agreed golden template occur.
- Manage changing demands on network resources and undertakes audits to ensure standards are being upheld to maintain the integrity of the network so it remains within acceptable, agreed performance and availability levels. A key aspect of this is managing traffic flows and routing policy, and auditing router configurations
- Be involved in the effective management of all circuit, service and equipment capacity planning and high-level design such as:
- IP routes – trunks, peering, upstream
- Transmission network capacity
- Router port, slot, switching fabric, processor utilisation, memory utilisation
- Working within an automated configuration environment, expanding the capabilities of environment
- Issuing capacity change requests to the Implementation team
- Working with the Implementation team to optimise capacity utilisation and costs
- Using network traffic, utilisation and performance data to develop a set of utilisation and performance information
- Supporting network service development activity, including lab testing, verification and documentation of new hardware, software and services
- Providing the Service Management and Security teams with specialist technical support
- Evaluate, lab test and formulate a response to security and bug notifications
- Work with Procurement team in writing, evaluating and scoring tender documentation and responses
- User community interaction, to include discussing requirements and presenting technical updates
- Experience working in an ISP environment or large enterprise
- Good working knowledge of MPLS, BGP and IGPs
Advantageous to have:
- Experience with Juniper MX equipment and Junos
- Good working knowledge of ISIS
- Experience with optical transmission systems including DWDM
- Experience with Linux and other open source software environments
- Automation of testing, templating and configuration management and validation
- Development skills with common network automation building blocks such as Python, git, Ansible and others
- Python and/or Bash scripting experience
Extent of travel required to perform the role:
As and when required several times per year, normally within Europe and sometimes further afield.
Over Geant Vereniging
GÉANT interconnects research, education and innovation communities worldwide, with secure, high-capacity networks.
We plan, procure and build the large-scale, high-speed networks that are essential for sharing, accessing and processing the high data volumes generated by research and education communities, and for testing innovative technologies and applications.
GÉANT also provides network and collaboration services that facilitate international cooperation between researchers and educators, and brings people together for the human networking that drives innovation.