Security Engineer bij Geant Vereniging
Reports to: Head of Security
Type/Hours: Permanent, Full Time
Normal place of work: Cambridge ( UK) or Amsterdam (NL)
We offer a blazing-fast, cutting-edge network that connects scientists, researchers and academics across Europe and the world
Thanks to our terabit network, 50 million researchers, scientists, academics and students can share record volumes of data unconstrained by location, solving some of mankind’s biggest challenges.
Work at GÉANT and you’ll be supporting critical research into sustainable energy, deep space, high-energy physics, earth observation, environmental disasters, medicine and more!
The Security Engineer works in the operation of the security service in relation to the GÉANT network (and associated activities) and to co-ordinate security tool and security capability development across GEANT community.
- Operation and development of GÉANT security toolset.
- Work with the Head of Security in the development of security requirements and in the design of the overall security architecture.
- Led on the development and design of technical solutions to mitigate security vulnerabilities.
- Undertake options analysis and new security tool selection ensuring the requirements as defined by the Head of Security have been met.
- Liaise with vendors and GÉANT community for selecting and maintaining the security toolset
- Provide support and training in security related areas.
- Maintain network statistics, configurations, and related processes and software.
- Collaboration with other security research activities (such as TF-CSIRT task force) and work with NREN partners in the security arena.
- Maintain and update security procedures.
- Support for the development and introduction of advanced security capabilities.
- Active member of the security team including the CERT team dealing with and investigating security events and incidents.
- Create annual security budget with other security members.
Qualifications, experience and knowledge needed:
- BSc or MSc degree in a related discipline.
- Experience with well-known firewall vendor technologies such as Sonicwall, Juniper SRX, FortiNet or Checkpoint.
- Able to use, update and produce standard security procedures (including guides, work instructions and check-lists); examples are patch management and password policies
- Good understanding of Linux and Windows.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the principles, concepts and technologies relating to information security.
- Demonstrable deep knowledge and understanding about netflow, how it can be used to investigate network based events and experience with relative tools such as FlowMon, NfSen, Scrutinizer or Kentik.
- Experience and deep understanding of Open Source Intrusion Detection systems such Snort, Suricata or Bro.
- Understanding of DDoS mitigation technologies for ISP and related vendor products such as Radware, A10 or Arbor.
- Experience and solid understanding around log management and Splunk or ELK is a plus.
- An understanding of how IS provides for the mitigation of exploitation of systems, and the ability to support the integrity of systems
Qualifications, experience and knowledge desirable:
- Exposure to core router firewall filter configuration and troubleshooting.
- Experience with DDoS mitigation platforms.
- Experience in networking concepts, routers, IPv4 (IPv6 Advantageous).
Personal attributes required:
- Experience of working with, or studying, network technologies.
- Good technical and problem-solving skills.
- Self-disciplined and self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Willingness and ability to learn to use new products and network technologies quickly, often without the focus of formalised training.
- Able to work on own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Organized and able to identify and prioritize work.
- Able to provide creative solutions.
Over Geant Vereniging
GÉANT interconnects research, education and innovation communities worldwide, with secure, high-capacity networks.
We plan, procure and build the large-scale, high-speed networks that are essential for sharing, accessing and processing the high data volumes generated by research and education communities, and for testing innovative technologies and applications.
GÉANT also provides network and collaboration services that facilitate international cooperation between researchers and educators, and brings people together for the human networking that drives innovation.