Front-end developer with focus on visual design bij Maastricht University
Front-end developer with focus on visual design
In today’s society, digitization, data science and artificial intelligence (AI) have certainly taken off and present exciting new opportunities. However, ethical and societal concerns are still a fundamental concern. New technology has the potential to assist in empowering vulnerable people in society, but in reality, their protection is severely lagging behind. This position helps address this need. In everything we do, we combine technological possibilities with high legal, ethical and societal standards. If you get really passionate when you can work on complex, interactive data-driven user interfaces that do not only look great, but also address real societal challenges and help real people, we are looking for you!
We offer you the opportunity to collaborate in interdisciplinary teams with data scientists and researchers from different disciplines. Your role in these teams will be to design and develop front end for prototypes, applications and software solutions. You will be offered the opportunity to, in addition to gaining knowledge on, expand your horizon and gain insights not only on applying computational techniques, but also on law, regulation, and ethics.
The Brightlands Institute for Smart Society (BISS) aims to empower people and organizations through the socially responsible application of digital technologies. The front-end developer will work with BISS’ data engineer and BISS’ research teams to design and develop software solutions that will support scientific projects, where main responsibilities include user-facing applications and prototypes.
Qualifications / experience:
- 3+ years’ of professional experience in either front-end development, or visual design, or a combination of the two
- BSc (or higher) in IT or related study programme
- Strong programming skills;
- Thorough knowledge of the software development process as well as a proven track record of delivering successful projects;
- Affinity with and experience with connecting to back-end databases;
- Fluent in English (better than IELTS 7, CEFR C1, or equivalent) and have strong verbal and written communications skills;
- Entrepreneurial mindset is a must.
Conditions of employment
- We offer a rewarding career at a young university in the heart of Europe, with a distinct global perspective and a strong focus on innovative research and education.
- The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO), supplement with local UM provisions. For more information on terms of employment, please visit our website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl > Support > UM employees.
- The salary depends on qualifications and work experience, with a maximum of €4402 per month in year 1, and a maximum of €5127 in year 2, based on a full-time appointment (38 hours/week). On top of this, there is an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end of the year allowance.
- We offer an attractive package of fringe benefits such as, reduction on collective health insurance, substantial leave arrangements, parental leave packages, attractive retirement benefits and application for attractive fiscal arrangements for employees from abroad;
- 38 hours per week (less is possibility with a minimum of 30,4 hours a week);
- The duration of the appointment is 2 years. The position is eligible for extension, subject to evaluation and funding;
- We provide a stimulating, collaborative and interdisciplinary work environment with excellent opportunities for professional and personal development;
- Maastricht University has an excellent international reputation, and Maastricht itself is a beautiful, open-minded city located in the center of Western Europe.
Maastricht University, BISS
Maastricht University is renowned for its unique, innovative, problem-based learning system, which is characterized by a small-scale and student-oriented approach. Research at UM is characterized by a multidisciplinary and thematic approach, and is concentrated in research institutes and schools. Maastricht University has around 20,000 students and 4,700 employees. Reflecting the university’s strong international profile, a fair amount of both students and staff are from abroad. The university hosts 6 faculties: Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Faculty of Law, School of Business and Economics, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience.
BISS – Brightlands Institute for Smart Society is an interfaculty institute, designed as the UM platform for translational data-driven innovation, research & education joining expertise and staff from all UM faculties, in the context of the Brightlands Smart Services Campus ecosystem. The institute is built around a team of researchers fostering interdisciplinary innovation on the edge of fundamental research and societal challenges. BISS enhances the collaborative application of academic knowledge and expertise from a variety of fields to address business and societal challenges accelerating innovation and creating societal impact in a digitizing world. BISS aims to empower people and organizations through the socially responsible application of digital technologies.
BISS is located in Heerlen at the Brightlands Smart Services Campus (BSSC). The BSSC ecosystem combines science, entrepreneurship, talent and state-of-the-art facilities in one place. The campus enables research institutes and companies to innovate faster and more efficiently and attracts innovative start-ups. The knowledge institutions collaborate closely with the campus organization in various programs.