FAIR Data Engineer at BISS bij Maastricht University
FAIR Data Engineer at BISS
You are enthusiastic about designing and developing software solutions, but “purpose != *”. You get really passionate when the data you process and the code you write serve a clear societal mission. When the solutions you develop improve people’s lives and help organizations innovate.
You are a real do-er, and the idea of working in a team of scientists doesn’t scare you, but makes you curious: how can you use your coding and programming skills to make the scientists’ ideas come to life? To enable them to use the data even better? You believe in FAIR data, and want to dedicate your time to make this a reality.
If this sounds very familiar, we are looking for you!
The FAIR Data Engineer will work with our research teams to design and develop software solutions that will support scientific projects, where main responsibilities include the design, creation and support of databases using good data management practices, the development of workflows and pipelines for data integration and analysis, user-facing applications, and end-to-end data flows.
- Design, document, implement and maintain efficient code, software and large-scale databases to support data science research using standard methodologies and good practices
- Collaborative design and implement ETL processes and data processing pipelines including: data cleaning, data acquisition, data integration, data quality testing, data indexing, and persistent access interfaces and co-develop (and implement) FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) data infrastructures
- Develop software supporting the ETL process and FAIR data infrastructures
- Join various projects and sub-teams and interact with outside parties
- Contribute and/or lead to reporting of results in scientific workshops, conferences, and journals
- Opportunity to learn the latest technologies and apply them in new projects
Qualifications / experience:
- 3+ years’ experience in software development
- BSc (or higher) in computer science or equivalent.
- Fluent in English (better than IELTS 7, CEFR C1, or equivalent) and have strong verbal and written communications skills
- Expertise in data processing and ETL tooling, cleaning and harmonization
- Knowledge of both relational and no-SQL (e.g. knowledge graph) database design, creation and maintenance
- Knowledge of the FAIR principles
- Expertise in version control systems (e.g. Git repositories) and knowledge of CI/CD platforms
- Knowledge of the predictive modelling and the machine learning workflow/pipeline, or experience in business intelligence
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a high degree of professionalism
- Experience in software development project management
- Broad interest in scientific research and in supporting the research process
Conditions of employment
- We offer a rewarding career at a young university in the heart of Europe, with a distinct global perspective and a strong focus on innovative research and education.
- The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO), supplement with local UM provisions. For more information on terms of employment, please visit our website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl > Support > UM employees.
- The salary depends on qualifications and work experience, with a maximum of € 4402 per month, based on a full-time appointment (38 hours/week). On top of this, there is an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end of the year allowance.
- We offer an attractive package of fringe benefits such as, reduction on collective health insurance, substantial leave arrangements, parental leave packages, attractive retirement benefits and application for attractive fiscal arrangements for employees from abroad;
- 38 hours per week (less is possibility with a minimum of 30,4 hours a week)
- The duration of the appointment is 2 years, subject to evaluation and funding, the position is eligible for extension.
- We provide a stimulating, collaborative and interdisciplinary work environment with excellent opportunities for professional and personal development;
- If in the candidate’s interest, we are willing to explore the possibility to join the PhD program at UM
- Maastricht University has an excellent international reputation, and Maastricht itself is a beautiful, open-minded city located in the center of Western Europe
Maastricht University, BISS
Maastricht University is renowned for its unique, innovative, problem-based learning system, which is characterized by a small-scale and student-oriented approach. Research at UM is characterized by a multidisciplinary and thematic approach, and is concentrated in research institutes and schools. Maastricht University has around 18,000 students and 4,400 employees. Reflecting the university’s strong international profile, a fair amount of both students and staff are from abroad. The university hosts 6 faculties: Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Faculty of Law, School of Business and Economics, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience.
BISS – Brightlands Institute for Smart Society is an interfaculty institute, designed as the UM platform for translational data-driven innovation, research & education joining expertise and staff from all UM faculties, in the context of the Brightlands Smart Services Campus ecosystem. The institute is built around a team of researchers fostering interdisciplinary innovation on the edge of fundamental research and societal challenges. BISS enhances the collaborative application of academic knowledge and expertise from a variety of fields to address business and societal challenges accelerating innovation and creating societal impact in a digitizing world. BISS aims to empower people and organizations through the socially responsible application of digital technologies.
BISS is located in Heerlen at the Brightlands Smart Services Campus (BSSC). The BSSC ecosystem combines science, entrepreneurship, talent and state-of-the-art facilities in one place. The campus enables research institutes and companies to innovate faster and more efficiently and attracts innovative start-ups. The knowledge institutions collaborate closely with the campus organization in various programs.
Applicants are asked to send their applications – letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the name of two references – to RecruitmentFSE@maastrichtuniversity.nl The deadline for submitting your application is January 7, 2020
For informal inquiries or additional information about this vacancy you can reach out to André Dekker, Principal Investigator at BISS (email@example.com).
You can send your application to this e-mail: RecruitmentFSE@maastrichtuniversity.nl
Maastricht University is committed to nurturing an inclusive culture and a welcoming atmosphere. This inclusiveness strategy has resulted in a very diverse representation of nationalities and cultures. We strongly believe that diversity (including, but not limited to nationality, age and gender) of the staff and student population will increase the quality of UM education & research. Fostering diversity and inclusivity creates an academic community where individual talents thrive, and values and differences are cherished. We strongly encourage you to apply if you are qualified for this position.