DevOps Engineer / Technical Application Manager (0.8 – 1.0 FTE) bij Universiteit Utrecht
DevOps Engineer / Technical Application Manager (0.8 – 1.0 FTE)
Are you experienced in digital research data management? The Research Data Management team at Utrecht University is looking for an DevOps engineer/ Technical Application Manager. This team supports the administration and maintenance of Yoda environment. Yoda is a Research Data Management service developed by Utrecht University. It enables researchers from our university, their partners, and researchers from other institutes, to securely deposit, share, publish and preserve large amounts of research data during all stages of a research project.
This service is managed and supported by an interdisciplinary team of university employees. The software has been developed at Utrecht University and is used by multiple organizations, both in the Netherlands and abroad. In our engineering projects, we actively involve researchers from a wide variety of domains.
- You are a DevOps engineer with specific experience in research data management and/or digital research infrastructures.
- You are responsible for the administration of Yoda environments, consisting of Linux, iRODS, Apache, PostgreSQL and more:
- improve infrastructure scalability to support very large data sets;
- supporting researchers managing their data;
- create and maintain system documentation;
- scripting to automate administration and maintenance;
- continuous improvement of the DTAP environments;
- maintaining backups.
- You will interact with various infrastructure providers, both internal and external. Together you will develop solutions for efficient data handling in research projects.
- You will be expected to closely manage your engineering projects.
- You maintain good working relationships with researchers and stakeholders.
- considerable experience with software development in an (academic) environment;
- a Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field;
- proven expertise of Linux, in particular CentOS/RHEL or Debian/Ubuntu and shell scripting and version control (Git);
- proven expertise of database systems (PostgreSQL);
- proficiency in Python and SQL;
- experience with iRODS, Ansible, Apache and/or git is an advantage;
- experience with object storage is an advantage.
- excellent communication and collaboration skills;
- ability to work in international environment;
- good English language/reading/writing skills;
- command of Dutch is an advantage;
- proven organizational and time management skills;
- able to work independently;
- flexible approach and manner.
We offer a position (0.8 – 1.0 FTE) for a period of one year. In case of a good performance, an indefinite employment is one of the possibilities. The gross salary – depending on previous qualifications and experience – ranges between €2,790 and €4,402 (scale 10 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
About the organization
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in their top research and in providing inspiring education. At Utrecht University, various disciplines work closely together on socially important themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The University Corporate Offices provide integrated support to the Board of Utrecht University. The eight corporate offices assist the Executive Board in drawing up and implementing the annual executive agenda and the four-yearly Strategic Plan and in providing support services.
The Information Technology Services (ITS) department is responsible for the central IT services of the entire university. About 8,000 internal employees and 30,000 students use the services of ITS. ITS provides several IT services, tools and infrastructure to support Utrecht University researchers in their work. Examples of what we offer in research support are research engineering, research data repositories, computing and data analysis platforms, electronic lab notebooks and security tooling.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation via the ‘apply button’ below.
The application deadline is